The Government of Canada has launched WeatherCAN, a new weather app to keep Canadians safe and informed of weather events across the country.
Last week, the Minister of Environment and Climate Change, Catherine McKenna, announced the launch of WeatherCAN, the new Government of Canada weather app for mobile devices.
WeatherCAN offers authoritative and up-to-date weather information on such things as rainy or snowy weather, information on forecasted extreme heat or cold and warnings of severe storms and tornadoes.
Available on Apple and Android mobile devices, WeatherCAN obtains its weather information from Environment and Climate Change Canada – the Government of Canada’s official source for weather forecasts and alerts. Users will also be notified of changing weather conditions in their location as they travel, giving them the information they need to stay safe.
“The WeatherCAN app delivers the expertise of Environment and Climate Change Canada’s meteorologists directly to Canadians. Whether Canadians are skiing, skating, commuting, or planning a day trip, WeatherCAN ensures they’re getting the real-time and reliable weather information they need. And, as climate change brings more life-threatening extreme weather to Canada, this app will provide users with potentially life-saving updates,” said Catherine McKenna, Minister of Environment and Climate Change.
WeatherCan offers the following:
- Current conditions as well as hourly and seven-day forecasts for over 10,000 locations in Canada
- Push notifications for all weather alerts issued by Environment and Climate Change Canada, by location and saved location
- Weather information for a user’s location as well as for saved locations anywhere in Canada
- State-of-the-art high-resolution radar animation on a zoomable map background
- A message centre providing weather facts and climate information on current weather
- A short-range forecast widget for quick, at-a-glance weather information
- Information available in English and French, with an in-app ability to switch between languages
- WeatherCAN is free to download from both the App and Google Play stores.